Birthcare Center (2020)
Uhm Ji Won as Oh Hyun Jin
Park Ha Sun as Jo Eun Sung
Choi Ri as Lee Roo Da
Jang Hye Jin as Choi Hye Suk
Yoon Park as Kim Do Yoon
Oh Hyun Jin is the youngest executive at her company but the oldest newbie mother in the postnatal care center. There she meets with Jo Eun Sung and Lee Roo Da who are total opposite of each other. Together with the two and other moms, they embark on a the journey called motherhood.
Birthcare Center is a fresh concept for a drama. It’s a fusion of comedy, family & work drama that also seems like a documentary of motherhood from pregnancy to postnatal care.
I was hesitant to watch it at first thinking that it was a “makjang” drama that focuses on family with mistresses… the poster looks very serious. So I just tried to watch the first episode and it was hilarious. One of the funniest series I’ve seen.
Birthcare Center may seem like a hyperbole of the motherhood process but the concerns raised and the points shown were as real as it gets.
Here are some of the concerns and issues that were raised by the series.
- Breastfeeding or Formula?
- Working Mom or Full Time Mom?
- Relative or nanny? (on who’s to look after the kid if the parents are working)
- Self-Esteem issues after giving birth (having to deal with weight gain, hair loss among others)
- Communication between husbands and wives (we sometimes hide things from them because we do not want to burden the other party— sadly, most of the time, it causes misunderstandings)
- Marriage (would you marry your partner because you got pregnant?)
- Pain of miscarriage and of losing a child
- Loving yourself — the series reminds the mothers that we too are human and that we too should still love ourselves and still deserve our happiness!
There are lines that even hit a spot when I watched this because I was a working Mom before but had been a full time mom for my youngest child, and I have experienced both that’s why I also cried buckets watching some scenes.
Also this series reminds us that there might be things we can “plan” when you choose to become a mother but there’s no perfect way of becoming a mother… you learn each day and love with your own way.
Story-5 (fresh concept for a series to focus on certain phase of life)
Actors-5 (I liked Park Ha Sun!)
THE Rate: 5